BBTouch minor updates

Hello all, thanks for all the helpful feedback, don’t hesitate to let me know if you find any problems or have ideas for more features.

I just committed a handful of updates. Mostly it was to clean up all the compiler warnings, now you should have a warning-free compile (with the exception of all the ” warning: ‘GetPortPixMap’ is deprecated” stuff that you get from the sequence grabber code. I really really do want to use the QTCapture stuff, but i also really really need to be able to turn off the auto exposure and auto gain for the camera… sigh… oh well, someday i will be able to jettison the SG code…

Also, I added some filtering for the ROI so now you cant inadvertently set it too big (ie out of image bounds) which would cause some crashing.

Last thing added today was a config pref for the raw size. if you are using older hardware and you find that it is kinda lagging on a 640×480 image, you can set it to a lower rez and it will speed up dramatically. note: you will have to quit and restart BBTouch for that to update (for now).

also: added an app icon:

it is just a simple one. didn’t want to spend too much time on it, but i was tired of the ugly generic app icon :-)

This entry was posted in BBTouch, code, multitouch. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to BBTouch minor updates

1. mkroll says:

Hello Ben,
    do you have any plans to integrate TUIO functionality in order to send those Blob/Touch events to a TUIO server and use them in a Flash/Flex app for instance?

Regards,
    Michael.

2. Ben says:

Hey Michael,

Absolutely, one of the design goals of mine was to be able to easily add on something like that. I want to eventually add TUIO and tablet style system events.

My immediate goal with it next tho is to add a simple draw or photo resize (you know the one :-) type thing on top of bbtouch just so that i have a full end-to end solution. (and so i can have something that I can see on my full surface :-)

I hope to have that done in the coming weeks. I am currently balancing my BBTouch development with some other paying gigs. While i wish i could spend all my time on the BBtouch stuff, I have to jump when people flash the cash :-)

However, if TUIO stuff is what people are clamoring for, then i will move it up the list. I know it isn’t a very complicated spec. I cant imagine it would be too hard to implement.

Cheers!
    -b

3. mkroll says:

Hello Ben,
    how it the TUIO stuff going on? Have you started integrating it?

Regards,
    Michael.

4. Ben says:

Hey Michael,

yeah, i have done a tiny bit, stubbed out a few objects and whatnot, but I havent had time to get into it properly. Hopefully I will get some time next week to jump on it and knock out something to play with.

Cheers!
    -b

5. sandor says:

Hey Ben,

if you time allows that: could you maybe post some compiled bins so that non-programmers like me can do some testings with MT without using that ugly Windows applications?

THX and Greetings,

Sandor

6. Ben says:

Hey Sandor,

yeah, i will try and get some up in the next few days, once my current job is finished.

Cheers!
    -b

7. sandor says:

Hey Ben,

thank you in advance. BTW: after reading your tutorial on how to install OpenTouch on the NUI WIKI, i decided do give it a try (i never worked before with development etc.)… Grat man! BBtouch compiles nicely on my system and runs also. I can see and manipulate the cam and it is producing also some blogs… ;-) Now i can’t wait for that you integrate TUIO. I’m not sure if this helps but Uwe has implemented that TUIO stuff in his WiiMote Whiteboard. Sources can be found on his page (http://www.uweschmidt.org/wiimote-whiteboard) … But i’m sure you allready know this ;-)

Just a last question: are you planning to implement the usage of some filter in BBtouch? Just stuff like a “background removal”, “barrel distorsion” “invert”?

Good luck with your actual work!

Cheers,

Sandor

8. Ben says:

Hey Sandor,

I am glad you got it running! Especially since i have been slack and haven’t had a chance to post some binaries.

Also thanks for the links i will check those out.

To answer your question: Yes i do plan on adding some nice image filtering options (when i get the CIImage stuff working) just FYI, it already does background subtraction, although it doesn’t show it in the video view. (basically i am not ‘wasting’ cycles generating a new background-less image, i am just subtracting it at the pixel level when i am checking for blobby goodness.)

Cheers!
    -ben

9. sandor says:

Hey Ben,

just played around with BBtouch – i mean i played around with the Xcode-stuff (you know just having some fun with the interface builder… LOL). I don’t know if you find that usefull, but if you want, take a look at: http://workflow.cd-cologne.de/download/English.lproj.zip … Just some amateur stuff i know – but i had some fun…

Any idea when you will get again time to work on some usable OSX stuff? (usable for dummys like me!) Maybe some basich blobtracker-tuio connection?

BTW: i changed my camera toa a Fire-I and since then BBtouch is showing some very strange things (the XBox cam works ok) in the video preview…

Cheers,