More New Code

I just put up a few new objects into the BBTouch project in the openTouch repository. Not all of it has been fully tested, but it seemed to work OK.

There is now an event controller that generates events for a delegate object. I also made a simple delegate that just resends the events as notifications. In the future there could be delegates to generate system -level events, or TUIO events on a serial port, or whatever.

There is also the stub of a configuration manager that does very little right now, but will eventually house all the configuration data and objects.

I am gong to be gone for a few days so there probably wont be any updates from my end until late next week.

This entry was posted in BBTouch, code, FTO xpost, multitouch. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to More New Code

1. stiwi says:

Hi Ben,

i just checked out your code at google.code and must say it looks very promising. Runs very smooth on my old iMac and my mac mini. I was looking for this kind of mac project for some time now because all the other touch libs out there just didn’t work that well for me. Too much geek scripting / bash stuff with very unpredictable results.

I am looking foreward to use your software with my audio-unit project “automat”.

Regards, stiwi

2. Ben says:

Hi Stiwi,

thanks for the kind words. Good luck on your audio project! Let me know when you have something, i would love to see it.

Cheers!
    -ben

3. stiwi says:

The dsp part is up and running and can be downloaded at http://www.alphakanal.de. It’s a AudioUnit which means it needs a host application like AuLab, Live, or Logic. Now i am working on a standalone version with a TUIO / OSC responsive GUI.

4. Bill says:

Fantastic Work Ben!

I too have been looking for this jump start for a while. Just to tinker and develop toys with for now.

Did you have anything to do with Lux from the Nui group?

Thanks

Bill

5. Ben says:

Hi Bill,

Thanks!

No, this is my first foray into the world of open source. I have used many open source apps, but never contributed to a project until now.

Hopefully you guys can find some use for this code, let me know if you have any questions. I am going to be adding the configurator objects this next week.

Cheers!
    -ben

6. mike says:

Impressive app I must say. I just tested it with my old logitech cam. It seems that the image is vertically mirrored. Strangely enought the video image displays correctly in the settings preview window. Has anyone ran in to these kind of issues?

7. Ben says:

Hey Mike,

I haven’t run into this specific problem, but it doesn’t surprise me.
    Many of the different cams capture the images slightly differently. There is most likely a flag somewhere that tells the OS that the image is flipped and I am not reading it (but the settings dialog is, since that is a built-in dialog box).

Thanks for the feedback tho, I will add something into the configurator to be able to flip it back. (or figure out where i can do it automatically)

cheers!
    -ben

8. mike says:

Hi Ben,

I think I will invest in a Fire-i web cam, seems to me the most easiest way to get IR functionallity.

9. Ben says:

Hey Mike,

Yeah, they are nice cameras, be sure to get the no ir coating lens. Also, in response to your earlier comment, I added a vertical mirror pref into the new config code. I talked about it all briefly in the more recent blog posts. Hopefully that helps!

Cheers!
    -b

10. ingenieurs says:

Hey. I tried this on an Intel MacBook Pro, it runs so smooth. After using Touchlib and Reactivision it’s great to have such a fast, simple to calibrate app. I can’t get it working on my g% though, is this Intel only?

Thanks for sharing. :)

A.

11. ingenieurs says:

Aah, ignore me, I was being an idiot. What does this output to, can it work with Flash or are you aiming at C++ etc? I’m very new to non actionscript coding, (12 hours new!) so finding this exciting but scary also. Any pointers would be great. A.

12. Ben says:

Hey Ingenieurs,

Looks like you answered your own question re: the g4, should run fine on the older hardware. Also, it doesn’t output anything right now, it is just a base for you to add code onto (at the moment). There has been some interest in adding a TUIO output object to it, which should allow it to integrate better with the flash/flex stuff. I will be adding some more stuff next week hopefully (tho i do have another job coming up, so it may not be until the following week.

If you are a cocoa guy, all you need to do is subclass the BBSimpleEventDelegate and make your new class convert the basic blob events to a TUIO stream. :-) if you aren’t a cocoa guy, then you will have to wait a bit until i can get it done :-)

Cheers!